Saturday, October 5, 2024

Ranch updates

It has been an interesting time around the ranch. 
As you know if you follow I have 3 yearling colts. They are wonderful babies until you startle one of them. Yes I got complacent and didn't let one of them know I was going behind them. That was such a stupid move on my part because I know better. So one of the feed pans I was carrying barely touched Jinx on the back leg and he responded in kind by touching my upper thigh with his hoof, no warning so I guess I deserved it for not doing my job and having my mind on other things. He is a year and a half old but the size of a big full grown horse. He put all the power into his kick, rightfully so and knocked me to the ground.  I couldn't move my leg for a bit and when I hollered my 19 year old, Trick, came running and got everyone away from me and stood guard while I collected myself and got out of the horse pen. I've had Trick 16 years and this isn't the first time he has come to my rescue. In the pictures you will see the result of the kick. Sorry I can't take a picture of the pain I'm in but just imagine. At 61 years old everything hurts more than it did 20 years ago but yet I still keep going. I'm a young 61 or so my brain thinks, and honestly the horses keep me that way. 
I'm barrel racing again. Yes I'm aware that my body is old but my brain refuses to listen and also my heart refuses to listen or give up. 
I am still working as a professional care giver. I have mostly great patients.  I've weeded out the ones that just work the system and use me as their personal servant. I know the ones that truly need the help and I cherish those people. The company I work for watches out, not only for the patients,  but for the care givers as well. They don't tolerate disrespect or abuse of the care givers. I can set the hours I work within reason. I usually see 2 patients a day and then go get things done that I need to and have time to work with the horses. 
Wes retires next year. I'm pretty sure he is counting the days. He has been with the hwy department for 25 years. I am blessed to have him as my husband. He is so supportive in everything I do with the horses and the dogs. I do have several dogs that I rescued and the same with the horses. I do have a lot of aged horses. They will live with us until they die. 
The puppies that my chihuahua had are almost 4 months old now and Little terrorists.  They are so fun though and yes I kept all 4 babies. I will not post how many dogs I have or how many horses because I get tired of hearing it from people who are not paying my bills. I'm the one buying all the feed, hay and veterinary care needed. I can do most of my own veterinary care though and my vet is absolutely fine consulting with me. I have my own suture kit and yes I had to use it. I had a mare that I had to stitch up her face and now you can't even tell it was there. 
I recently acquired 3 new horses. Two of them are the ones from a friend who is moving next year and wanted me to take them because she knows I'd lay down my life for the horses. I know I wrote about them before because one of them is my barrel racing horse. The other is an Arabian and I always need to have an Arabian around.  He is Wes' trail horse. The newest one came home a week ago and he is 5 yrs old and his color is champagne.  My collection is now complete. He came from another friend of mine that I've known since she was a child. He is beautiful and so very sweet. 
Trick is enjoying being out in the small pasture after being in his huge dry lot for 4 years. Ever since he was snake bit I've been way over protective and kept him in a lot. That was 4 years ago. So now the 2 old lady horses and my newest gelding are in Trick and Newts old lot with access to the barn. They get special feed so separating them from the others is necessary.  
Pasture horses are great, fat fat fat and happy. They also have access to the barn. I did down size this year. I gave the mini's and the donkeys and one of my mares to a very good friend.  Actually it's the same person that I got my 3 stud colts from to the tune of about $8000. They are worth every penny and more. I actually got a bundle deal on them because it was all 3. Two of the colts are out of my favorite stallion that she owns and the other is out of another stallion that she owns the mare that had him. He is stunning. I think I will upload some pictures now for your enjoyment.  








No comments:

Post a Comment