Saturday, November 29, 2014

Progress progress progress

I worked a lot with Cat today. I have to say I am beaming proud of the things she did today. 



First of all she learned to lunge and did great. Left was no problem, and you have to think that racehorses are the equine nascar, left turn left turn left turn. Right was a bit tougher but when she realized what I wanted she did superb! Couldn't ask for better. I verbally asked her to walk and she did. I asked her to trot and she did, then I said walk and she did. Lots of praise and loves and pets after each accomplished task. We did grooming today and picking up of feet which I didn't figure would be an issue since she has been shod for racing. 



Having done so well I decided to pull out the saddle blanket and saddle today. Surprisingly enough she was pretty ok with it. She was a bit apprehensive about the two items at first but worked through it in a minute or less. I saddled her up, and she stood there. Ok not really surprised again because she has been ridden. But western gear is so not like the mini pad the jockeys call a saddle. 



I walked her around with it on. No big deal. I lunged her both directions, piece of cake. I took her off lead and she walked around a bit but then she reared and bucked a little. I said cat whoa, and she stopped and stood there. I put her back on lead line and we continued with lunging at a walk and at a trot and back down to a walk. 



I have to admit if I had to choose a certain amount of horses to keep she would be my number one pick, after Josey that is. She is doing far better than I expected. 

Still have a couple hundred more pounds to gain. She will get there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment